Ghost Ships & Shipwrecks
A two-part talk and slide show presentation by Dianne Volrich and Roland Semjanovs.
May 17 – Part I
May 24 – Part II
Doors open at 6:00 p.m.
Admission by donation. Proceeds will go to the FBCA FUND THE FLOOR campaign.
(Receipts issued for all donations of $20 or more.)
Topics will include:
- Tales from the Graveyard of the Pacific, and the mysterious Bermuda Triangle;
- Stories about the Spanish trading ships, and the pirates and privateers that sailed around the Americas;
- The deep oceanic Marianna Trench;
- A Viking burial ship in Norway;
- The tragic sinking of the Empress of Ireland – the worst peacetime marine disaster in Canadian history;
- What really happened to the crew of the legendary ghost ship the Mary Celeste?
- How did a steamship end up buried in a cornfield in Kansas?
- Exxon Valdez – one of the largest environmental disasters in U.S. and Canadian history;
- The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald, with the story immortalized in song by Canadian singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot; and
- Much more!
Meet the presenters:
The event speakers are Fanny Bay residents Dianne Volrich and her husband Roland Semjanovs. As a child, Dianne was fascinated by storytelling; she found it easy to draw from her imagination to create fantastic tales. She and Roland have been putting their creativity to use for ElderCollege over the past four years with several courses that have received rave reviews.